Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Reliving the Spirit of Bayanihan through Habitat for Humanity

April 16, 2011 (Saturday)
Bernardo Compound, Brgy. Pinagbuhatan Pasig City


If you think of the word "Bayanihan", you might have images on your mind of citizens back in the days helping a family move their house to another location. Habitat for Humanity has a goal of bringing back this Bayanihan spirit by offering volunteer activities wherein one can help families have a new home. I was blessed to be given an opportunity to take part in a build with the Pex Volunteer Group.

Habitat for Humanity Hard Hat

Before we started our tasks for the day, Engineer Noel Sanchez gave us a brief orientation. He gave us information about the medium rise buildings and also reminded us to always wear our hard hats as it is a construction site.

Engineer Noel Sanchez
Engineer Noel Sanchez

Habitat for Humanity Pasig Site
The Pasig site is different as instead of individual homes like the one in the Caluan site, two medium rise buildings were built. These buildings help minimize the space in the populated metro and can also serve as a home to more residents.

Afterwards, we were given our tasks. I was first assigned to transfer hollow blocks with majority of the Pex Volunteer members.

Transferring Hollow Blocks
Ate Mills, Ate Jen and Ate Mariel unloading the hollow blocks. Kuya is fixing the pile.

I admit, I really had a hard time with transferring hollow blocks. :( Having a small frame made it difficult for me to carry two hollow blocks at a time. I was embarrassed that I can only carry one at a time. Also, I lack exercise since I am just currently working at home. No wonder I was so exhausted after only a few trips! :s

I was glad that after awhile, the group tried another method of transferring hollow blocks. Since members of another group were present, we tried to make a long train of members. Transferring hollow blocks became easier after that. :)

Bayanihan
Easy transfer through Bayanihan.

Group Picture
Group picture of the girls

After lunch break, everyone had new tasks to do. Some were assigned outside to use the shovels while others like me were tasked to create hollow blocks.

Pexers Hard at Work
Bry and Angeline hard at work but still smiling while working. :)

Building Hollow Blocks
Making hollow blocks is like making puto bumbong, hehe :D

It was not easy to make hollow blocks. So I was really proud that after a long time I was able to make my first hollow block, hehe. ^_^

Finally! My 1st hollow block!
Finally! My 1st hollow block! ^_^

Busy Making Hollow Blocks
Yehey! I managed to make 3 hollow blocks. :)

Before the day ended, Engineer Sanchez gave group leader Angeline this cute, small hollow block souvenir.
The Cute Small Hollow Block Souvenir

And of course, we would not forget to take a group photo before leaving.

PEX Volunteer Group
The Pex Volunteers with Engineer Sanchez ^_^
Though I was exhausted by the end of the day, I was glad that I joined the Habitat for Humanity build. Not only did I get to help build a home but I also met new people.  It was great to see new faces in our volunteer group! :D The experience also made me appreciate my job more. Although working at home can be boring, it is not as hard as being a construction worker. They are paid so low but their job is really difficult. They are exposed not just to the heat of the sun but to the potential dangers of the construction site. Kudos to these hardworking workers! I admire you guys for being able to do this difficult job. :)

If you want to  volunteer for Habitat for Humanity, you can contact Ms. Marcia Yogyore at this email address: marcia.yogore@habitat.org.ph. They are looking for volunteers for their Pasig site this May.

Also, please feel free to join Pex Volunteers. Everybody is welcome! :) We have an upcoming Real Life Foundation Feeding Program volunteer activity on May 7 (Saturday). I hope you can come and join us. ^_^


Take care and God bless to all! :)

6 comments:

  1. grabe, i salute you - specially the organizers. aside from giving their time and effort, they also expose common and unaware people to these activities. in time, everyone will get involved =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice one..hope to experience this...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a noble thing to do Karla.. Hope we could experience that too.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I like!! Hope I could join next time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, galing. Never mind of sweat , the important thing is the opportunity to help our neighborhood. Thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really hope I can also participate in such noble work. :)

    Btw, I recently changed my blogspot address. Please follow me at mariakristela.blogspot.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

 
 

Statistics

Proudly Pinoy!
free counters

Counters

Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines