Friday, October 1, 2010

Volunteer Nurse Gang Raped in Maguindanao

UPDATE (AS OF 10/11/10) - According to the Justice for Gang Raped Volunteer Nars and QTV news video, Florence is already conscious but the right side of her body is still paralyzed and she is still unable to communicate. I also watched the related news from QTV and its sad how such a promising girl, who was a deans lister from 1st year to 2nd year, is handling such a tough situation like this. I mean, not only was she raped but now she is paralyzed. How can she work in a situation like this? Lets continue to pray for swift justice.

Old post:
I recently saw the news about Florence (not her real name), a volunteer nurse that was gang raped in Maguindanao. I instantly felt sadness for the victim and great anger for the suspects! Imagine, Florence volunteered for the NARS (Nurses Assigned in Rural Service) program, rendering free service to the people and this is what she gets in return? Being raped and beaten by 6 men! How cruel is that! Tsktsk.



I also felt more sadness when I read that the victim came from a poor family. Enrolling in a nursing course is not cheap so her parents must have worked extremely hard just to get her to finish her studies. Which parents would want their child to end up like this?!?


Sometimes I wonder if this would not have happened if the situation of nursing employment here in the Philippines is good. I mean, would Florence have volunteered in such a remote area if she could have found a staff nurse job in her own area? Lets face it, finding a nursing job nowadays is very difficult so volunteering has become a ticket to many unemployed nurses for gaining experience and a staff nurse job. It is bad enough that some would leave their homes to go to a location where volunteer opportunities are needed but its depressing how one would have to pay just to volunteer. That is why I understand how Florence dared to take the risk of volunteering in that area because every nursing opportunity, whether volunteer or not, does not come by easily.


For now, let us pray that justice will be served for Florence. If you want to donate, please contact the Carl Balita Review Center Main Office at 2nd Floor Carmen Bldg., G. Tolentino St. cor. Espana Manila or you may call (02) 7350740 and look for Ms. Deane. For further updates, you can join the Justice for Gang-Raped NARS Volunteer Facebook page by clicking this: http://tinyurl.com/249yzxv

15 comments:

  1. how sad.
    walang puso yung mga tao na yun. hindi nila naisip dahil sa ginawa nila wala ng magvovolunteer na doctors and nurse sa community nila.
    mga selfish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. joined the facebook group... I don't understand why we are becoming such a society of violence. This is really sad. I hope it never happens again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you for helping us spread the word and raising awareness. God bless!

    -Admin Yin (Justice for Gang-Raped NARS Volunteer FB Page)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read about this too...

    This is a sad news and I hope justice shall be served for her ... May God bless her...

    ReplyDelete
  5. ive seen this news on tv and i felt so bad and scared at the same time. sana our authorities can do something about this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some wicked people are getting wicker more as days go by,Nakaka trauma ang mga ganitong pangyayari. I hope this tragic event won't happen anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Chyng
    - Oo nga e. Nakakalungkot talaga ang balita na to :(

    @hangingbridge
    - Me too. It seems like there is always a stream of bad news. :( I hope there will be good news next time.

    @Justice for Gang-Raped NARS Volunteer
    - Thanks for visiting Admin Yin. Glad to be of help to spread the word.

    @Traveliztera
    - I really do hope that justice will not turn a blind eye on this case :(

    @Ayen
    - I hope too that the authorities can do something about this and strengthen safety issues.

    @Ian
    - Me too..

    @Yen
    - I wish that this won't happen again and good news naman next time.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sad! My son recently graduated from a nursing school in Manila and this story really concerns me. It doesn't really matter whether the volunteer is male or female, evil persons will always have a way of inflicting harm on anybody. My family lived in Mindanao for a year, but due to the unending, unnerving unrest in that region, we were forced to move back to our hometown in Luzon and thank God we did! Round-up all the suspects in this grim crime and watch them die in prison without giving them any medical aid, even if they need it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. ^What happened was really sad. It is sick how people can do these kind of things. :( It is nice to hear that your family already moved to a place where you feel more secure. Safety is a big issue nowadays and everyone needs extra precaution.

    I do hope that the perpetrators will be locked behind bars and served their rightful sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The perpetrators of this crime deserve neither mercy nor forgiveness. They must not only be incarcerated in the prison cells. They must be executed to death by throwing them alive in a pit of Palawan crocodiles. I think it is not cruel or an inhuman punishment. They only deserve it because they are beasts in itself. Death to them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ^However, there is a big problem with the suspects connection with politicians. :( Hay, justice here is really slow. Remember the Maguindanao Massacre? Up to now the families are still seeking justice and its been a year already.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I also felt more sadness when I read that the victim came from a poor family.

    ReplyDelete
  13. sana death penalty ang ipataw sa mga suspects na yan. Mga walang konsensya kaya dapat lang na yan ang kaparusahan nila.

    ReplyDelete
  14. dapat talagang ibalik ang silya electrika!nang matusta ang mga hayup na manyak na mga yan!the hell all of you!

    ReplyDelete

 
 

Statistics

Proudly Pinoy!
free counters

Counters

Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines