Sunday, February 20, 2011

Thailand Day 4: Ayutthaya and Bang Pa-in Summer Palace

February 5, 2011 (Saturday)
"RELIVING HISTORY IN AYUTTHAYA"


Group Tour Package from Noi Tours (beside Sawasdee Inn Khao San)
Whole day Ayutthaya by van and Bang Pa-in Summer Palace
Cost: 600 baht for the Ayutthaya tour and 50 baht for the entrance to Summer Palace


Like the previous day, my mom and I also joined a group tour. The journey to Ayutthaya was not that long compared to going to Kanchanaburi. We arrived in about an hour to Chedi Wat Phu Khao Thong (Golden Mount). It is one of the tallest pagodas in Ayutthaya. 

A Temple Outside Ayutthaya

After that, we travelled to Ayutthaya Historical Park, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. To give you a brief background about Ayutthaya, it was the former capital of Thailand until the year 1767 when the Burmese came and destroyed the place. That is the reason why you can see many ruins here.

We went with our guide to the reclining buddha where he asked us to stick a coin in the Buddha's feet. He said that if our coin does not fall, then we are lucky and have powers.You only have three chances to stick the coin. Fortunately, my coin sticked to the Buddha's feet on my first try. :)

At the foot of the reclining buddha
It was interesting how this woman in our tour group failed to stick the coin as hers always fell down. Coincidentally, she had a stroke of bad luck as her clothes were splashed with coke during lunchtime! 0_0

After that, we were left to tour that particular area of the park on our own. Here are some interesting pictures:

Wat Yai Chai Mongkol
Wat Yai Chai Mongkol

After that, the tour group had lunch. The menu was still the same with our free lunch in Kanchanaburi but this time we had free fruits. ^_^

The next stop was Wat Phra Mahathat. It is where you can find the Buddha head enclosed in the roots of a Bodhi tree. Also, you can see a lot of headless buddhas as the heads were stolen.

Buddha head enclosed in the roots of a Bodhi tree
When taking a picture with the Buddha head, your head should be lower than the Buddha's head as a sign of respect.


Headless Buddhas in Wat Phra Mahathat

Wat Phra Mahatat

Afterwards, we went to Wat Lokayasutha where the huge reclining buddha can be found. The reclining pose  meant to represent the exact moment at which Buddha achieved enlightenment. I believe that the buddha has been replaced as the buddha that I have seen in other blogs looked different. You can see a picture of the old buddha in this link.

Wat Lokayasutha

The last Wat or Temple of the day is Wat Phra Si Sanphet.This is where the royal palace once stood.


Wat Phra Si Sanphet
The chedi in the background is one of the three chedis located in the area. It housed the remains of the royal family.
Wat Phra Si Sanphet

Wat Phra Si Sanphet
This is my favorite Wat in Ayutthaya. As you can see, I had fun posing for pictures here, hehe.


By the way, if you would like to try riding on an elephant, this is where the starting point of the elephant ride can be found.

The last stop of the day was Bang Pa-in Summer Palace. Compared with the Wats, the place had  more of a European feel. Also, it is so big that there are golf carts for rent (400 baht) which you can use to tour around.

Amazed Traveller

Stop and Smell the Flowers

Bang Pa-in Summer Palace

Bang Pa-in Summer Palace

Overall, I really enjoyed  Ayutthaya. :) If you are planning to go to Thailand, I hope you can spare some time to visit this place.

By the way, I want to thank the great travel blogger Chyng Reyes for the tip about using flickr for my pictures. ^_^

22 comments:

  1. Wow, you have a wonderful trip, I hope one day I can visit that place too:-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You really had a great time in Thailand.:) Ang saya naman. Hopefully talaga I can take a trip within this year... pang-unwind lang sa stress from work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never been to Thailand but your pictures made me want to go there :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice. Didn't know Ayutthaya had so many temples! I know Ayutthaya only because of Honda's Thai factory there.

    A shame about the headless buddhas at Wat Phra Mahathat though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. the places are so beautiful, next time when schedule permit sana makapunta rin ako :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my sis, I would love to go there. Parang si Buddha, kinain na ng tree sa tagal mag meditate siguro :) (I watched a Buddha movie before and heard that he could meditate for days and weeks time).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice clear photos. You gave justice to the beauty of the place.

    Btw sis, thanks for the visit. I did not study sewing. I guess it is a talent that both of my parents gave me. My mom was a dressmaker and father was a tailor. One can gain a skill in sewing tho. Try attending garments classes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting my page sis!

    Nice trip ha! dami mo na napupuntahan. gusto ko din yan pero di ko magawa. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow! very nice photos you got there! oh, i envy you.. wish i could go there someday (*sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  10. i miss Ayutthaya,one of my fave in Thailand. did it solo back in 2009 and ddnt join a tour group, pero limited time so d ko tlga xa nalibot, I missed the Summer Place, hopefully mapuntahan ko xa nxt time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi guys! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment. I really appreciate it. ^_^

    @Yen - Don't worry, one day you can have time to visit thailand too. :)

    @Rose - yes, I really enjoyed Thailand. I do hope you will have the chance to go on a vacation this year so that you can unwind.

    @realmofadreamer - Thank you! I hope one day you can see this lovely place personally :)

    @JM - Yes, Ayutthaya has so many temples. Regarding the Buddha heads, I read that some Buddha heads were recovered and is now placed in a museum. :)

    @Mihai - I hope that your schedule will permit you to have a nice vacation in Thailand :)

    @Chew on this - Yup sis, ang ganda ng place. I hope makapunta ka din. :) Nice story about Buddha. :) Regarding the Buddha head on a tree, story has it na yung tree daw ay nagprotect sa Buddha head. Apparently nung ninakaw ang mga Buddha heads ay nadrop yung Buddha head tapos yung tree ang nagprotect sa kanya. :)

    @Mrs. Kolca - Thank you! :) I'm glad I was able to convey how beautiful Ayutthaya is with my pics. :) Its nice that you got your talent in sewing from your parents. :)

    @Bachuchoy - You're welcome sis. :) Don't worry, someday magkakaroon ka ng free time to travel. Nilulubos ko lang sis ang free time ko while still unemployed.

    @Kimmy - Thanks Kimmy! :) Don't worry, you are still young. You still have lots of time to go to Thailand. :)

    @the pinaysolobackpacker - I miss Ayutthaya too and like you, one of my favorite places din in Thailand. :) Wow, ang galing mo naman that you managed to do a solo trip to Ayutthaya. Next time I hope mapuntahan mo din Summer Palace and makaikot din sa Ayutthaya ng matagal. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi ate pabulong naman magkano naging budget mo sa thailand trip mo? sa sep kasi ang punta ko para may konting idea lang sa paiipunan kong pocket money tipid trip lang ako salamat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice. I learned new stuff ha. I felt like I was there too.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, masunuring bata!

    did you like your pictures now? ganda di ba? laki ng difference. mas inviting yung colors. =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. hi Karla! Ayutthaya is my favorite place in the world! Thanks for dropping by my page!

    http://travel-on-a-shoe-string.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. @Kay - Thanks! :) I'm happy that you learned new stuff.

    @Chyng - Yup, I really like my pics now. Ganda na ng colors at hindi na siya nareresize agad ^_^

    @travel on a shoestring - You're welcome! :) Ayutthaya is also one of my favorites. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi dack! :) Sorry, wala akong idea e. Ang mommy ko kasi nagfinance sa trip. :( Pero masasabi ko na mura talaga sa Thailand. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your ruins pic in Ayutthaya... is sooo Thai culture and heritage at its best.... Kapun crap for sharing these beautiful pictures and sights of Ayutthaya.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You're welcome Ian. :) Yup, you can really see Thai heritage in Ayutthaya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. The ruin pic you have and choose to be your site banner depicts the real spirit of a traveler - free, open to discoveries and adventurous. I love that pic!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks again Ian! :) I also love the pic too! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful photos, specially the one of the reclining Buddha!

    ReplyDelete

 
 

Statistics

Proudly Pinoy!
free counters

Counters

Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines