Sunday, August 28, 2011

Beyond Angkor Wat: Ta Prohm, Baphuon and Bayon Temple

Ta Prohm – What one will notice about this temple are the trees. The trees are so massive that the roots began to overlap the temple walls. This is actually my favorite temple as one feels close to nature with its jungle surroundings. 

Have you seen Tomb Raider? Some scenes were shot in this temple and even at this particular spot.
Ta Prohm 1

See how huge the roots are? I feel so small, hehe. :D
Ta Prohm 2

Can you spot the hidden apsara? :)
Ta Prohm 4

Baphuon – what is interesting about this temple is that it is dubbed as the world’s largest jigsaw puzzle. It involved piecing together 300,000 sandstone blocks for many years! Though the restoration was completed in April, going inside the temple was not allowed. I guess this is for safety reasons.

A large arch welcomes visitors of the temple.
Baphuon
Before going to the temple, one must cross the Rainbow Bridge.
Baphuon Rainbow Bridge

Bayon – the distinct characteristic of this temple are the smiling faces. It is said to be the face of Avalokitesvara, a Bodhisattva representing compassion. However, some say the face is of King VII.

Can you count how many faces there are in the picture? :)
Bayon

Up close and personal
Nose to Nose
Bayon Up Close

My Favorite Picture
My favorite picture

Again, I want to thank our tour guide, Vann Seila, and his driver, Ram, for the wonderful tour around the temples.
with Vann Seila
with Vann Seila
I hope you would consider his services. :) Tour guide service is only $25 plus $30 for the car with driver. Here is the contact number of Seila: +85512942356.

Have a happy long weekend to everyone! I hope it will stop raining soon. ^__^

11 comments:

  1. Nice trip in Cambodia story...
    Hey, I tagged you in doing My 7 links project hope you had fun doing it. See the link here - http://ilovegoingplaces.blogspot.com/2011/08/going-7-new.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know where to leave a message, you're SEO specialist? really? I want to learn that. if that means Search Engine optimization...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Ian - Thanks for the tag! :) I will do the 7 links as soon as I finish my Cambodia blog posts.

    @Dee Quixotic - Yup, I work at home for an Australian employer. :) SEO is a large field and my work is more on internet marketing. I do social bookmarking, article writing, creating videos, graphics, etc. My boss trains us but there are also a lot of resources on the web. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a wonderful job Karla. A part of me wants to incline myself in that kind of job.. for part time maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Dee Quixotic - Thanks! :) Maybe you can find a part-time job in Craigslist or Bestjobs.ph. Usually there are online jobs posted there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. sana makapunta din kami dito.. kaiinggit.. hehe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Christian - Yup, breathtaking place. :) Gusto ko nga sana gayahin ang iba na nagrerelax lang, nagbabasa ng book or nagmumuni muni, hehe. :D

    @MarLies Travels - Hehe naku naiinggit din ako sa food trips nyo! :D Sana makapunta din ako sa mga napuntahan nyo. Stuck lang ako sa Cavite ngayon, hehe. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. would you believe if i tell you that it took years for me to finally fixed my photos at siem reap and label them properly? syempre, when we were there, i knew all the temples. but when we got there and i looked at the photos, they all look the same! except for the wide shots, of course. but i finally got to it and labeled them properly. great post you have here. pag may nakalimutan ulit ako, i'll reference it from your post. LOL

    ReplyDelete

 
 

Statistics

Proudly Pinoy!
free counters

Counters

Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines