Sunday, February 13, 2011

Thailand: Lub D Siam Square

DSC07265
One of the reasons why I enjoyed our 6 days Thailand trip was because of our hostel, Lub D Siam. Square. So I decided to blog about it first before continuing with stories about my trip.

What I love about LUB D:
1. LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION - Lub D is located along the main road so no need to worry about walking into a dark alley when coming home at night. There is also a bus stop close to it. If ever you want to go to the Grand Palace or Khao San area, it is only 7 baht and a 10 minutes ride.

Also, the National Stadium BTS is just steps away! You can see how close it is to the escalator of the BTS by looking at this pic taken from the third floor of Lub D and from the patio.

DSC07283
DSC07261

Don't worry about being hungry! There are cheap food around Lub D. In fact, one food stall is right beside Lub D offering a rice meal for only 30 baht! There is also a 7-11 for those who want some midnight snacks of ham and cheese. :D

But the biggest selling point is its proximity to malls. MBK and Siam Discovery is only around 5 minutes walk while Siam Square, Siam Paragon and Tesco Lotus is around 6-10 minutes walk. So if you are a shopaholic, then you can drop your bags off at the hostel, rest a bit and then shop again, hehe.


 2. VERY CLEAN - Lub D only opened last year so you can see how new the facilities are. I really like how everytime we go back to the hostel after sightseeing, our room was spotless. Cleanliness is very important in choosing an accommodation and Lub D makes sure that their guests are comfortable.
0.5
last
I also like how the toilet and shower are separated in the double deluxe room. :)

3. SAFE - Only hostel guests are allowed entry into the premises. A key card is used to enter the main entrance, the entrance to the accommodation area and of course, your own room.

4. MODERN DESIGN - Even though it is only a hostel, it does not look outdated. In fact, it looks modern and cool. I really like the colorful staircase railings and the outdoor patio. ^_^
DSC07279

DSC07267

DSC07264
What I don't love about LUB D:
1. NOT CHEAP - We got the double deluxe room for only 1,800 baht as there was a promo that day. But it can be pretty expensive for Thailand standards as you can book a budget hotel room at this price. I also found the non-promo rate for an econo deluxe expensive considering it is over 1,000 baht but there is no bathroom inside the room.

2. NO ELEVATOR - It might be hard for people who cannot walk properly to go up and down the stairs as there is no elevator. Don't fret though if you are carrying heavy things as the staff is willing to assist you. :)

3. BREAKFAST IS NOT FREE - This was not a problem for us as we had to be up early for two days in a row for our trip to Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya. However, breakfast is still important in giving you energy for the day.
DSC07312
Despite the cons, if ever I will have a chance to go back again to Thailand, I would still choose to stay in Lub D Siam Square. ^_^ I guess I will just have to save a little and choose comfort over budget. 

For more info about Lub d Siam Square, you can visit their official website: http://siamsquare.lubd.com/. You can also watch this video that I took of the Lub D area at night:

11 comments:

  1. Nice travel blog Karla! Taga GMA Cavite ako, hope to meet you fellow CaviteƱo bloggers someday. Happy Valentine's Day!

    http://talesfromthemoseisleycarinderia.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey Karla!
    you know what, isa to sa choiced ko where to stay last year. kaso mahal! hehe and Im not comfortable with sharing bathrooms/toilets.

    nice to know you had a great experience here. try ko din jan pagpunta ko ulit BKK. ^_^

    ps~ abangan ko siam ocean world mo

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Jedi_Randy - Thank you! :) Its great to meet a fellow blogger from Cavite. Happy Valentine's Day and take care! ^_^

    @Chyng - Yup, mahal nga siya. :( Dapat sa Wendy House kami sa may soi kasem 1 malapit lang sa Lub D kaso magulo kausap si Wendy at may mga nabasa ako na hindi minsan nahonor reservations nila. Kaya naghati kami ng mom ko sa accommodations sa Lub D para at least comfortable sa 6 days at may libreng wifi para magamit sa work niya. :) Hindi din ako comfortable with sharing bathrooms pero mukhang malinis naman ang shared bathroom sa Lub D. :)

    Hehe medyo matagal ko pa ata mapopost ang Siam Ocean World kasi last day ko din siya. Sana sipagin ako magblog, hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to go back to Thailand. Mostly because of their food. Drooling as I think about how spicy they are. Kahit nga sa tabi tabi nga lang na cantina, masarap pa rin :) mukhang okay nga yung hotel where you stayed. Too bad they don't serve breakfast buffets for guests. Kelangan pa naman yun ng mga tourista kasi they always have a busy day planned ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ^Yes, I definitely agree na kahit sa tabi tabi masarap pa rin. ^_^ Mas naenjoy ko nga po ang food sa tabi-tabi kaysa sa chicken kebab sa MBK.

    Though ok naman ang breakfast selection nila, isa po talaga siyang con lalo na po sa traveller on a budget.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ^Hehe some people tell us that we look alike but I don't think so as she is prettier and more mestiza than me. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post about accommodation in BKK... I would love to visit this country...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Ian! :) Thanks! I hope you can visit Thailand and stay in Lub D too. I enjoyed Thailand so much that if you would ask me to rank the three countries that I have been to, Thailand will be at the top of my list. ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Karla.

    Thanks for the info posted. I plan to visit Thailand later this year.. I'll just read through the rest of your posts about Thailand.. Isa pa lang nababasa ko eh.. hehe :)

    Siguro kaya mahal na rin is because sobrang accessible sya sa malls and public transport.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jeffz! :) Thankst also for visiting my blog. I hope makatulong siya in planning your itinerary. :) Ok lang yun. Hindi ko pa din naman natatapos ang pagpost sa Thailand trip ko. Hanggang day 4 pa lang, hehe.

    Yup, siguro one of the reasons nga kaya mahal is because of its good location. And also last year lang siya nagbukas.

    ReplyDelete

 
 

Statistics

Proudly Pinoy!
free counters

Counters

Travel & Leisure - Top Blogs Philippines